In order to legally manufacture a short barrel rifle in the State of Illinois, you must obtain a Curio and Relic firearm license and then get an approved ATF Form 1. Both the forms and instructions are below.
ATF Form 7CR
First one must obtain a Curio and Relic (C&R) firearm license. This is the same form that Federal Firearm License Dealers (FFL) use.
Fill out ATF Form 7CR (5310.16) You can download the pdf at this link: ATF E-Form 7(5310.12)/7CR(5310.16)
$30 dollar application fee for three year license.
1. Check the box for collector if you do not intend to deal firearms.
2. Last name, First name, and Middle Initial or name of business / legal entity.
3. Enter a trade or business name if applicable.
4. Enter your EIN if you are applying as a business.
5. Enter the county you intend to manufacture in.
6. Enter the address you will manufacture.
7. Enter the address you receive mail, if different from Block 6.
8. Enter your contact phone numbers. Be thorough, the ATF will need to get in touch with you and conduct an interview.
9. Enter what you intend to do. For example, “I intend to manufacture short barrel rifles.”
10. Check Block 03 for Collector of Curios and Relics. $30 fee.
11a. Check payment method and include any necessary information.
11b. Sign and date page 1 of the form.
12. Enter hours of operation. For Curios and Relics, this is the time that you are available for the ATF to inspect or discuss matters with you.
13. For Curios and Relics, skip to block 18.
18. Enter the name of your Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO): Call your county or local police department for this information.
19. Enter the address of your CLEO. The CLEO’s office will normally be located within a local or county building or police station. In counties with less population density, this may be the CLEO’s home address.
20. Read each item and initial each box.
21. Print, sign, and date. Do not fill out items below the black line. This section is for the ATF to fill out.
ATF Form 1
One must File ATF Form 1. You can download ATF Form 1 here: ATF Form 1
1. Check block “a. Tax Paid.” You are going to submit a $200 payment for this.
2. Check individual. Illinois does not yet allow for trust or legal entity.
3a. Leave blank if no trade name.
3b. Applicant name and mailing address.
3c. Street address if P.O. Box is indicated in 3b.
3e. Area code and phone number.
3f. email address.
4a. Name and address of original manufacturer or importer.
4b. Write out “Short Barrel Rifle.”
4c. Only specify one caliber. Do not put “multi” or list more than one caliber.
4d. List model.
4e. List inch of barrel.
4f. List overall inches of firearm.
4h. List if there’s additional description.
4i. Write “any and all lawful purposes.”
4j. Check “Firearm.” Do not check “Explosives.”
4k. Check if firearm is being reactivated or not.
5. Write your Curio and Relic (C&R) license number.
6a and 6b. If no SOT then leave blank.
7. Don’t forget to sign.
8. Leave blank.
9. Don’t forget to date the application.
10. You must provide notification to chief law enforcement officer in your county by submitted a copy of form 1 to them. Also you must write down on the form the Agency or Department name, name and title of the official, and the address.
11a-h. Answer truthfully.
12. Attach a passport sized photograph.
13a. Check your country of citizenship.
13b-d2. Answer truthfully. If you are not an alien do not mark “d2.”
14. Fill out if you are an Alien.
Sign and date.
Mail this original form with $200 check to :
National Firearms Act Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
P.O. Box 530298
Atlanta, GA 30353-0298
(Check made out to National Firearms Act Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives)